Read the latest in a weekly blog by two seemingly different friends...one living the Urban Mommy lifestyle...the other raising her child in Mama Earth style. Every week we'll write about everything from taking herbs during pregnancy, to hiring full-time nannies, AND anything YOU would like to hear about too!







Thursday, November 18, 2010

Today, I'm a good mother

Being a mother seems to mean always feeling like you could do better. If you're a stay at home mom, you feel like you don't have enough "quality" time with your baby. If you're a working mom, you plain don't have enough time with your baby. We can't win. So that's why, today, I want to celebrate: today, I'm a good mother.
My husband is away this week and work is extremely busy. On top of that, since Monday, we're trying to get Adam to fall asleep in his crib, instead of in our bed. However you want to look at it, the odds are stacked against me. Tuesday, Adam ate all his dinner, but was indignant at the idea of falling asleep in his crib (and so, consequently, didn't - no question who is boss in our house!). Yesterday, Adam had a grand total of two spoons of his dinner, but fell asleep in his crib (an achievement that was slightly dulled by the fact that he woke at 5am, starving). Today, however, he did both: he ate all his dinner AND he fell asleep in his crib. In addition to that, I managed to skip out of the office on my lunch hour and take Adam to his swimming class, even though I barely had time to breathe, much less read e-mails or make any inroads into my to-do list, . For one hour in the middle of the day, I got to play and giggle and be silly with my son. We both had a blast. And even with my break in the middle of the day, I was still home at a decent time - a successful day by any definition.
As mothers, I think we are programmed to feel that we can always do more. As women, we want to be more than a mother, and finding the balance is like searching for the holy grail. Today, I feel like I have found it. Tomorrow might be different, but today, I'm celebrating. Today, I was a good mother.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Deirdre! I didn't know you were a blogger, too! I have really been struggling with balance lately. These magical days when it feels like everything is just working are definitely days to celebrate!

    fawnahareo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE a good mother! And swimming too, sweet! I will write one soon...we had our power out for 3 whole days...slumber party in the living room by the fire...I guess that's a good story!

    ReplyDelete