Read the latest in a weekly blog by two seemingly different friends...one living the Urban Mommy lifestyle...the other raising her child in Mama Earth style. Every week we'll write about everything from taking herbs during pregnancy, to hiring full-time nannies, AND anything YOU would like to hear about too!







Friday, June 18, 2010

Back to work

Today marks the end of my first week back at work following six months maternity leave. Even though I acknowledge the ideal is probably some kind of version of part-time work, I decided to return full-time. Spanish law is such that had I wanted to reduce my hours, my company would have been required to oblige me, reducing my salary proportionally. Yet I wanted to give full-time a try – otherwise I would never know whether or not it was possible to find a decent balance between a career and family. I have a lot of things in my favour: a fabulous nanny who treats my son as if he were her own; a short commute, so minimum time is lost on the road; a good employer that offers a certain amount of flexibility; and finally, a very supportive husband who does his share of housework and childcare. With all this, if I couldn’t do it, I surmised, nobody could.
So how did it go? Well, it went okay… actually better than my expectations. I wasn’t crying in the bathroom, missing my baby, regretting my decision. I enjoyed seeing my co-workers again, dressing up in the mornings, using my brain. And I loved coming home in the evenings, seeing Adam, holding him, playing with him. Continuing to nurse his morning and night feeds ended up being a great decision. For a couple of hours a day, it’s as if I’m back on maternity leave. Yes, Monday was hard. I took a taxi to get home ten minutes earlier and didn’t even stop to pick up our mail. There was a minor hiccup on Tuesday when our nanny called me to tell me Adam was throwing up. But even that served to make me more optimistic: I was able to go home, nurse him, be with him for a bit, and return to work. I can be flexible and maybe, just maybe, I can be one of the lucky few who manages to find that elusive work-life balance and be happy.

2 comments:

  1. Encore un post émouvant. I have zero doubts about you being one of the lucky few, smart girl! You're on a good track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the nursing morning and evening thing with Diego right after I went back to work. I ended up nursing him for 14 months total, even if he was on formula and then on solid food during the day when I wasn't around.

    Not surprisingly, I had a similar experience to yours when I went back to work. I enjoyed it after being cooped up for months. I missed my baby, but felt good knowing he was home with his dad.

    ReplyDelete