Read the latest in a weekly blog by two seemingly different friends...one living the Urban Mommy lifestyle...the other raising her child in Mama Earth style. Every week we'll write about everything from taking herbs during pregnancy, to hiring full-time nannies, AND anything YOU would like to hear about too!







Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mother Goddesses are we...


My friend Justine has just had a baby girl, Lilah Sage. On Saturday I met her for the first time...a tiny koala bundle so perfectly nestled in her mother's bosom (I never thought I'd use the word "bosom", but now I'm a Mama, all sorts of strange grandmother-type words emerge from my lips!) I can't believe only 4 and a half months ago, my baby was that size.

We sat in Justine's campervan as she told us the story of her birth. Women need to do that, share birth stories. It heps us to enter through the portal into Motherhood. I know after my birth, which was loud and quiet, sometimes lucid, and other moments panic stricken, I wondered if I'd done it "right". Now I know as we share our stories, women empower one another to know they each did an amazing job. We are all powerful Goddesses in the birthing journey.

Later that evening, I danced around a bonfire with drums and singing happening all around as my baby's daddy held her sleeping at the periphery.

Singing...I sang a song as a gift for Justine's baby before I left the evening gathering. My mother and baby group have decided to sing at least one children's song each time we meet. And today, I taught myself on guitar some children's music my own father had played for me when I was little. The music hasn't died, as Don McLean once sang....no, for me, the babies that surround me are bringing it new and freshly alive.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to be following your Blog! I love it and look forward to more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete